This week is banned book week. Take a look at the ALA’s list for 2009. You may see many of your favorites. If nothing else, I think next year we should pick from this list for our 2010 choices.
Banned books of 2009
I read it and am not sure what to say.
Spoiler alert. Finish the book then read the questions.
- Were you drawn in by the plot of The Shack?
- Why do you think Mack’s encounter with God took place at the shack? If God were to invite you somewhere, where would it be? (In other words, where is the center of your doubt and pain)?
- Do you think suffering makes people closer to God or causes them to distance themselves from Him? What has been the pattern in your life?
- Were you satisfied with God’s answers to Mack about suffering? Do you struggle with believing God is good in light of all the tragedy in the world?
- How is Young’s description of God different from your concept of God? What parts of his description did you like and what parts didn’t you like?
- Did The Shack change any of your opinions about God or Christianity?
- What were some of the things The Shack teaches about God, faith and life that you disagreed with?
- Would you recommend The Shack to a friend?
- Rate The Shack on a scale of 1 to 5.